Saturday, October 5, 2013

just me and my mat

For a few weeks I've gotten myself acquainted with hot yoga classes. It's something I've talked about doing for what feels like years but had not given in until I had the time (and energy) in between jobs. I tell you what ... it's as good as everyone says it is. 

So good, in fact, that I've officially signed myself up for the "Fall Challenge" at the yoga studio I attend, which means 30 classes in 30 days. My friend says her first challenge changed her life, and I'm confident that I'll get a lot of benefit from this commitment, too. Those are TBD in .. 28 days (I'm two days in!). 



If completed, you do receive a nice discount for an entire year, which is certainly a very attractive reason to sign up. Not to mention, the price to sign up is a discounted rate to the normal unlimited package. Double whammy. 

However, what I've already realized since exploring hot yoga for the first time in early September, is that very few workouts feel as good (or better) than a hot yoga class. It's a detoxing, relaxing, strengthening and centering workout. It's about the building the breath and building strength. Oh, and it's hard (and there is always something you can do to make it harder). 

It's a different kind of workout than I'm used to. I'm not dealing with the kind of soreness you might get from a long cardio session or weight training, but I feel just as good, if not better.

Before starting the challenge, I was managing to get to class four to five times a week. Upping that to seven classes will be difficult, particularly on the days I work both my full-time job and my part-time job, but Sam has already agreed to push me out of bed to get to 6 a.m. classes when necessary. 

So, wish me luck. Oh, and don't be offended if I turn you down to go to yoga. For the next month, it's my priority. October is the month I'm dedicated to my mat.


No comments:

Post a Comment